New resident services


If you are new resident to Tennessee you are required by law to obtain a new driver license and register your vehicle within 30 days of arrival. To obtain a license on line Examiners are not available in Scott County but are given in Jacksboro, TN, (Campbell County) (approximately 30-45 minutes away) 423-566-9638; Tuesday-Friday. For Tennessee residents relocating to Scott County, be certain to make the address change with the State of Tennessee.


To register and purchase license plates in Scott County go to the Scott County Clerk’s office at 283 Court Street in the Courthouse, Huntsville, Tennessee. Hours are Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Renewal fee $24.95, telephone 423-663-2588 for details.


Any citizen United States Citizen who is or will be eighteen years of age or older prior to the date of the next election and who is a resident of the State of Tennessee may register to vote (unless disqualified under the law) in Scott County. To register you may obtain and complete a voter registration form and file it with Gabe Lowe, Administrator of Elections, 2845 Baker Highway Huntsville, Tennessee or by mail by calling, 423-663-3210.


In the towns of Huntsville and Oneida, building inspections are required for new construction and certain types of remodeling. For license requirements, click here for Huntsville or click here for Oneida.


Plateau Electric Cooperative provides electricity. Highland Telephone Cooperative provides telecommunication services, including, through its wholly-owned subsidiaries Highland Communications and Highland Media, fiber-optic-enabled television services and internet. In general, residents and businesses in and just outside the Town of Oneida (and points north) receive water and wastewater services through the Town of Oneida, while residents and businesses in Huntsville (and all points east and south) receive water services through Huntsville Utility District and wastewater services through the Town of Huntsville. Natural gas is provided by Citizens Gas Utility District.